Last Updated on March 18, 2022
Tourists FAQs about Andaman | Guide for Andaman and Nicobar FAQs Tourism | Andaman & Nicobar FAQs | Tips and recommendations Andaman Travel FAQ
Welcome to the Andaman Islands. Our first focus is your comfort. Please read on to find answers to your most common questions and to prepare for your vacation to the Andamans with these helpful hints and recommendations.
Where Andaman Nicobar Islands Locates?
- The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, located in the south-east of the Indian mainland geographically, float in splendid isolation in the Bay of Bengal. Once a hill range extending from Myanmar to Indonesia, these picturesque undulating islands, islets numbering around 836, are covered with dense rain-fed, damp and evergreen forests and endless varieties of exotic flora and fauna.
How to find Andaman on map?
- Coordinates: 11.7401° N, 92.6586° E
How to Reach Andaman?
- By Air and Ship – The Veer Savarkar Airport, an International Airport is located in the capital town of Port Blair, the gateway to Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Port Blair, is connected with Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi and Bangalore by air. Air India, Go Air, Indigo, Vistara and Spice Jet Airlines operate regular flights. Foreign chartered flights are also permitted to land at Port Blair subject to the fulfilment of guidelines of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation.
- Regular passenger ship services are available to Port Blair from Chennai, Kolkata and Visakhapatnam and back. There are three to four sailings every month from Kolkata and Chennai to Port Blair and vice-versa. There is only one sailing for Visakhapatnam in a month. The voyage takes about 50 to 60 hours during fair weather.
Is the passport required for Andaman?
- No, Indian citizens do not require a passport to visit Andaman.
What can I expect the climate and weather to be like in the Andaman Islands?
- The Andaman Islands, like other parts of the Andaman Sea enjoy a tropical climate throughout the year. The average minimum temperature is around 23°C and it seldom goes much above 30°C. Humidity is relatively high at about 70% to 90%, however with a gentle breeze blowing most the time it is still quite pleasant.
How do I get to and from North and Middle Andaman?
- Regular Govt. and Private Ferries are plying between Port Blair and Middle and North Andaman up to Diglipur. Regular Transport services are also available through Andaman Trunk Road (ATR) from Govt. and Private sectors.
Which is the best time to visit Andaman?
- Andaman Islands are open for Tourists all seasons. The best time to visit the Andaman Islands is from the month of October to May and Monsoon tourism will be from June to October.
Which is the best beach in Andaman?
- Much famed as the best beach for scuba diving and snorkelling, Radhanagar Beach is one of the cleanest beaches in Asia, and hands down the best beach in Andaman. Radhanagar beach also bagged the prestigious blue flag certification in 2020. A Blue Flag beach is an eco-tourism model endeavouring to provide the tourists or beachgoers clean and hygienic bathing water, facilities, safe and healthy environment.
Other notable beaches include
- Lalaji Bay Beach (Long Island)
- Laxmanpur Beach (Neil Island)
- Butler Bay Beach (Hut Bay)
- Twin Islands : Ross and Smith Islands
- Aamkunj Beach (Middle Andaman)
How do you get to Radhanagar beach, Swaraj Dweep from Port Blair?
- Once you touch down the capital city of Port Blair, one can avail of the ferry services from there and reach Swaraj Dweep Island easily.
What can you buy from Andaman?
- You can shop for items like Spices, Timber Crafts, Jute Items, Shall Crafts, Virgin coconut oil, Nicobari Mat (Chataai) and Coconut Handicrafts on your shopping spree in Andaman.
Is there any mangrove forests in Andaman?
- Yes, Andaman has mangrove forests that spread over 1136 Sq. Km. and 35 Sq. Km. Tourists can enjoy mangrove forests tours to get up close and personal with beauty of these forests. Tourist can enjoy Mangrove tours at Dhaninalla Mangrove creek, Baratang Island, Kopri – Vikhroli creek, Lime Stone Caves, Yerrata Mangrove Park and Yerrata Creek, Dhanninallah Mangrove Nature Walk Way, Panchavati Hills, Moricedera and Sabari Village.
Can Indian currency (INR) be used in Andaman?
- Yes, Indian Rupee (INR) is the currency used in Andaman Islands. There are several ATMs and Bank branches on inhabited islands, so withdrawing cash is not a problem.
Are there endangered tribes in the Andaman and can one meet them?
- The indigenous tribes are distinguished in two groups: the Onge, Sentinelese, Jarawa and Andamanese of Negroid descent living on the Andaman Islands and the Shompen and Nicobarese of Mongoloid descent living in the Nicobar Islands. However, it is strictly prohibited, and against the law as well, to enter the tribal reserves, meet or photograph the tribes. One should refrain from disturbing the peaceful haven of these tribes. Respect the tribes and adhere to the law.
What are the different Water Sports activities one can do in Andaman?
- Lot of Adventure Water Sports Activities that one can do in Andaman. This includes snorkelling, scuba diving, sea walk, boat cruise, speed boating, Sea kart, Jet skiing, Parasailing and many more.
Is the Cellular Jail open on all days?
- The Cellular Jail is open all days from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM for general visit and Sound and Light Show are scheduled from 5:30 PM onwards.
Is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Island open all days?
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Island is open on all days daily. Boats are plying from Port Blair from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM for general visit and Sound and Light Show from 4:00 PM onwards.
Is it permissible to photograph the indigenous tribal people of the islands?
- Taking photographs of the Aboriginal Tribes (Jarawas or Sentinelese or Great Andamanese or Onge or Shompen) in the Tribal Reserves is not permitted. It is an offence punishable under PAT Regulation 1956.
Do foreigners require RAP to visit the Andaman Islands?
- Foreigners are permitted to visit the following Islands without requirement of Restricted Area Permit
- East Island
- North Andaman
- Smith Island
- Curfew Island
- Stewart Island
- Landfall Island
- Ayes Island
- Middle Andaman
- Long Island
- Strait Island
- North Passage
- South Andaman
- Swaraj Dweep
- Shaheed Dweep Island
- Flat Bay
- North Sentinel Island
- Little Andaman
- Tilang Chong Island
- Great Nicobar
- Little Nicobar
- Narcondum Island
- Interview Island
- Wiper Island (Day visit only).
Who should get RAP permission?
- Citizens of Afghanistan, China and Pakistan and foreign nationals having their origin in these countries would continue to require the Restricted Area Permit to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. In such cases, the Restricted Area Permit (RAP) would be granted only after prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs. If any such national is found visiting these Islands without the Restricted Area Permit, necessary penal action would be taken under the relevant provisions of the Foreigners Act, 1946.
How do I get to and from Swaraj Dweep and Shaheed Dweep?
- Regular Govt. and Private Ferries are plying between Port Blair and Swaraj or Shaheed Dweep. Visitors are advised to reserve and confirm their to and fro tickets well in advance.
What activities can be done in North and Middle Andaman?
- North and Middle Andaman is mainly famous for Turtle nesting (seasonal) Tracking, Bird watching, Mud Volcano, Lime Stone cave, Boat ride in Mangrove forest, Eco Walking and Sandbar connected islands like Rose and Smith Islands.
How to reach Barren Island and Narcondam Island?
- The volcanic Barren Island, the domestic and foreign tourists may be allowed to visit Barren Island on board vessels but no landing ashore subject to obtaining prior permission from the A and N Administration for the visitors and boats. For Narcondum Islands it has been decided that it may be opened to foreign tourists for diving and unescorted day visits. Narcondam is essentially accessible only from a live-aboard vessel as there are no facilities anywhere nearby for accommodation.
Is there any Govt. Guest House Available for tourist?
- Yes, there are many Govt. Guesthouse available offered by different Govt. Departments like Circuit House, Tourism Guest House and CPWD Guest House etc. for more details contact concern departments or visit www.andamantourism.gov.in
How to Reach Mud Volcano?
- Active Mud volcano lie in Baratang and Diglipur Island, a part of the Andaman chain of islands. The volcano is one of the top places to visit in Baratang Island. To get to the volcano, you to take 11 km ride by road from the jetty of Nilambur and walk another 160 meters upwards to reach the spot.
Places to be visit in Port Blair?
- In Port Blair there are many place which tourist can visit likes Museums, Aquariums, Water Sports Adventure’s, Beaches viz Corbyn’s Cove Beach, Wandoor Beach and Chidiya Tapu Beach etc. and Sound and Light Show at Cellular Jail and Netaji Subhas Chandra Boss etc.
Is there any vehicles available for hiring?
- Yes, there are many private agencies which offers two or four wheelers vehicles for rent to tourists.
Important web sites which offers online services
- www.andamantourism.gov.in – for booking of Sound and Light show at Cellular Jail and Tourism Department operated Guesthouses. There will be three shows daily:-
|Show||Hindi version||English version|
|Number of Days||07 days||03 days|
|1st Show Timing||5.30 PM to 6.20 PM
|2nd Show Timing||6.50 PM to 7.40 PM (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday only)||6.50 PM to 7.40 PM (Monday, Wednesday and Friday only)|
|3rd Show Timing||8.10 PM to 9.00 PM (all days)||No show (all days)|